Earn money online
being unapologetically you.
Writing, editing and personal branding help for creatives
who want to sell their stuff without selling their soul.
I’m Karen and I help creative business owners, freelancers and writers build brands around themselves.
Hands up if you’re guilty of any of the following:
- Taking business advice that makes you feel gross (that’s what everyone else is doing so it must work, right?)
- Copying the people you admire (even though you don’t really understand whether this will work for you)
- Listening to everyone else over yourself, because who the hell are you to think you know anything about anything?
- Offering ALL THE SERVICES because please god, won’t somebody hire you?
- Holding your tongue and toning shit down because professionals don’t swear
- Burying your face in your hands because there’s no way you can make this work when so many people are already doing it
So, I have a question – just how much longer are you going to keep playing this safe, exactly?
Because while you’re still doing that, you’re never going to do anything distinct enough to make people notice you.
Listen, to build a successful business there are really just three things you need:
- Something to sell
- Someone to sell it to
- A way to connect 1 to 2
And, not to get all bullshitty and whimsical on you, but you are that way. YOU ARE THE DISTINCTION, MY FRIEND.
Yes, yes, I know: puke in mouth. But just hear me out. (Christ, this is such a difficult sentiment to get across without going all ‘live your best life’ on you.)
I’m not here to light a fire under you or empower you or help you bravely step into anything.
I’m just here to help you sell your creative goods and services to the people who desperately want to buy them specifically from you.
And that’s not going to happen if you keep trying to be like everybody else.
Instead, you need to be yourself. Yes, some people will definitely look at who you are and what you sell and think UGH WHAT ARE THEY EVEN DOING?
But others will look at you and think HOLY SHIT! HOW DID THIS PERSON KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED? OH GOD ARE THEY IN MY HEAD? IS THIS 1984? DO WE ALL HAVE CHIPS IMPLANTED NOW?
(Spoiler: nobody ever thinks that way about somebody who’s selling yet more generic shit, indistinguishable from the next generic-shit peddler. In fact, nobody ever thinks anything about them at all. Also yes, I know they don’t have chips implanted in 1984. Leave me alone.)
So no, to make this work you do not need an Instagram-ready life or to pretend you’ve got your shit together at all times. Nobody trusts people who look like they’ve got their shit together at all times, okay? And you know why? Because that is literally no one in existence, so if they’re saying it’s them, you know they are fucking lying.
So just be human, be honest, be yourself. Because what if you could sell your shit without pretending to be someone you’re not?
Well hey, guess what? YOU CAN. And I’m here to help you do it.
Here, Have Some Free Stuff
If you like what you’ve seen so far (and may I say what impeccable taste you have), enter your email in the box below. You’ll get:
* If by secret you mean behind-the-scenes stories about my life and business, links to my latest blog posts and contributions to other sites, as well as a curated list of badass, useful and hilarious things I’ve been enjoying lately.