Not all clients are great clients. If your clients do any of these things, there’s a strong chance they fall into the tosspot category:
- Bring agreed-upon deadlines forward
It’s as if signing a contract means NOTHING to them.
- Quietly add extra work to the project without expecting you to charge more
Commonly known as ‘scope creep’. Those rat-bastards!
- Take an ice age to answer your emails
So approximately 10,000 years.
- Or just ignore them altogether
Because if you were any good, you’d already know the answer.
- But are still pissed off when you don’t deliver on time
Who needs feedback anyway?
- Expect you to change your schedule because they haven’t finished THEIR end of the work
- Expect you to start on their project RIGHT NOW
Only a crazy person would think of scheduling projects, right?
- Subtly drop ‘I don’t have a big budget’ into the conversation
At this point you should give them the deadpan ‘are you serious right now?’ glare.
- Constantly change their mind about what they want
Evidently they haven’t put much thought into this.
- You’re pretty sure they don’t know WHAT they want
So you can just decide for them, okay? But don’t put too much effort in, because you’ll probably be wrong.
- Tell what you’ve done ‘isn’t right’ but can’t tell you why
It’s desk flippin’ time.